is a set of business activities and processes that help a sales organization run effectively, efficiently and in support of business strategies and objectives. Sales operations may also be referred to as sales, sales support or business operations
Definition of Sales Forecasting According to American Marketing Association
. "Sales forecast is an estimate of sales in dollars, or physical units for a specified future period under a proposed marketing plan
or programme and under an assumed set of economic and other forces outside the unit. "
The set of sales operations activities vary from company to company but often include these five categories:
Sales Force Enablement
- Sales Process Development
- Sales Process Adoption and Compliance
- Sales Development
- Sales Training
- Sales Force Communications Management
- Sales Metrics
- Sales Forecasting
- Proposal/Contract Development
- Vendor Selection and Management
- Planning Process Stewardship
Sales Operations Mandate and Design
- Incentive Sales Compensation Plan Design
- GTM Strategy Alignment with Roles and Components
- Territory Analysis and Definition
- Goal Setting
- Chief of Staff to the Sales Organization
- Stewardship of Sales Force Capacity
- Initiative Change Management
- Sales Operations Team Design
- Sales Operations Talent Management
The sales operations team members are often liaisons for sales to other parts of the organisation such as finance, marketing, legal and IT departments. They will represent the needs of sales in meetings and cross-functional projects.
Sales operations as a function
More and more companies are forming sales operations departments within their organizations and, per the sales operations excellence center, sales operations is an established process and considered to be vital contributor to business operations and accounting functions.
Sales Operation Analysts as a department usually have Sales Analysts that work directly under them. Supplying them with the data needed to make decisions. These decisions can transform a fragmented and silted model into a customer-adaptive enterprise.
Nowadays, a lot of companies or small businesses start to use [internet] tools to improve sales function.